Resolved: The United States ought to extend to non-citizens accused of terrorism the same constitutional due process protections it grants to citizens.
The EDD topic analysis begins here.
September/October LD Topic
Someone asked me in a comment here, what I thought the first LD topic for 2012 would be. I realize there are probably many curious novices (and non-novice) trying to get a hint. I don't know, but I can narrow the list for you.
Year to year, the NFL pulls its first topic from the preceding year. It will not be one of the ones on the current list discussed on this site, unless there is a unusual departure by the selection committee.
Here is the list of potential (not debated) topics from last year (numbering from last year's list):
1. Resolved: The United States ought to extend to non-citizens accused of terrorism the same constitutional due process protections it grants to citizens.
3. Resolved: In the United States, possession of handguns ought not be an individual right.
4. Resolved: The use of eminent domain for private economic development is just.
5. Resolved: Estate taxes are just.
7. Resolved: A just society ought to prioritize environmental concerns over the production of energy.
8. Resolved: In the United States, law enforcement ought to be required to have probable cause to search data an individual has stored on remote servers.
If I am not mistaken, the votes from last year will influence the decision and no one apart from the NFL knows how many votes were counted. The first topics tend to be simple, aimed toward novices (or so we think). Personally, I also think the NFL likes to kick off the year with a topic on justice or rights which is "classic" LD.
As I said in my response to the comment question, the guns topic would be very current in light of recent headlines. But I would be inclined to expect a justice or rights-based resolution such as 1, 4 or 5 from the above list, possibly 7. Please do not hold me to anything. Like you, I am only guessing.